clipping - Wriggle (Expanded) [Loser Turquoise/Black-swirl Vinyl]
• First physical release of all tracks. Includes vinyl-only track and multiple new remixes.
• Features “Wriggle” and “Shooter,” two of the group’s most popular live and streaming tracks.
• Rapper and Grammy and Tony award-winner Daveed Diggs originated two roles in the smash Broadway musicalHamilton, and is a prolific actor, with roles in Snowpiercer, Black-ish, Blindspotting, and more.
• Members Jonathan Snipes and William Hutson are prolific soundtrack and experimental musicians. They worked together on the film Room 237, and Snipes made the soundtrack for horror film Starry Eyes.
• Over 91,000 total scans over four albums since 2014.
• Their most-recent album, 2020’s Visions of Bodies Being Burned, brought a significant new audience to the group and scanned over 18,000 in its first six months. Their 2020 RSD release Double Live sold out immediately.
This LP finally brings a Clipping fan-favorite, 2016’s Wriggle, onto vinyl in an improved, expanded version that features new art, previously unreleased remixes, and a track that’s exclusive to the vinyl format.
The original, digital-only Wriggle EP was six tracks that weren’t finished in time to make it onto the group’s 2014 Sub Pop debut,CLPPNG. For “Shooter,” Clipping recorded themselves firing fifteen different guns, the sounds of which exclusively constituted the beat’s drums, augmented only by a synthesized tone-row. The verses referenced the well-worn technique of “hashtag rap,” but instead of using it to boast about the rapper’s personal wealth and masculine prowess, Clipping put forth imagistic narratives of three violent encounters. True to much of the group’s music, “Shooter” was an attempt to reframe a familiar style and test the limits of its formal capabilities. “Hot Fuck No Love” contains what might be the most explicit verse to date from Clipping’s favorite New Jersey rapper Cakes Da Killa. The EP’s title track, “Wriggle,” was built around a sample of the influential power-electronics song “Wriggle Like a Fucking Eel” by Whitehouse, transforming William Bennett’s torturous imperative into a instructional dance-floor banger. “Wriggle” and “Shooter” have become classic Clipping tracks and staples of their live show.
With this vinyl edition, Clipping fans old and new - and there aremany new fans thanks to their breakout 2020 album, Visions of Bodies Being Burned, and Daveed Diggs’ thriving acting career - get the vinyl version of Wriggle they’ve been clamoring for.
Back Up 2021 (Feat. Debby Friday & SB The Moor)
Hot Fuck No Love (Feat. Cakes Da Killa & Maxi Wild)
Our Time (Feat. Nailah Middleton)
Wriggle (Homemade Weapons Remix)
7. Back Up (Dave Quam Remix)
8. Hot Fuck No Love (Jana Rush's Naughty Bitch Remix)*
9. Wriggle (Cardopusher's EBM Remix) *vinyl-only track